CSI Certification Programs
Since its founding in 1948, The Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) established, and continues to refine, widely-accepted standards for organizing construction documents. CSI instituted its first certification program, Certified Construction Specifier, in 1978 to recognize individuals who demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of, and expertise in, these standard formats.Since then CSI certification has evolved into recognizing excellence in four areas of expertise. The Construction Documents Technology (CDT) Program recognizes demonstrated excellence in mastering the basics of construction. After becoming a Construction Documents Technologist, an individual may pursue recognition in their specific fields. The Certified Construction Specifier (CCS) Program acknowledges those individuals who demonstrate written excellence in specifications preparation. The Certified Construction Product Representative (CCPR) Program acknowledges those individuals proficient at supplying specifiers and contractors with information, products and materials, or substitution solutions. The Certified Construction Contract Administrator (CCCA) Program acknowledges those who excel in overseeing the contract administration process. By studying for a CSI examination, you will...
Gain a better understanding of
- The construction process.
- Construction delivery methods.
- Modification and substitution procedures.
- The rights, duties, and responsibilities of the parties to the contract. Contract provisions.
- The use of construction documents.
- Organizational formats used in construction documents.
- The interpretation of construction documents.
Learn ways to
- Better coordinate the drawings and specifications.
- Manage errors and omissions.
- Decrease your risk of liability due to misunderstandings of project requirements.
- Apply the principles described in CSI’s Manual of Practice.
Enhance your knowledge of
- General provisions of the contract, including definitions, execution, correlation, intent, administration, instructions, cancellation clauses, changes in the work, and termination.
- Relationships of the elements of the project manual.
- Effective communication skills.
- Use of CSI format documents.
- Location and sequence of elements in the project manual and within a specification section.
- Contractual relationships among construction participants.
Benefits of CSI Certification
Upon successful completion of the certification examination, you will...
- Join a select group of individuals who have passed the certification examinations.
- Earn the privilege of using the appropriate suffix after your name.
- Receive a certificate of achievement.
- Receive industry-wide recognition as a competent and dedicated professional.
- Have your name published in CSI’s Newsdigest and CSI’s Member Directory.
- Experience greater self-confidence and self-assurance.
In addition, the President of the Institute will send your employer a letter recognizing your efforts in preparing for and passing the examination. Make your request for a letter by completing the appropriate form at the examination site.
CDT - CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM:
CSI’s Construction Documents Technology (CDT) Program emphasizes the understanding of construction document fundamentals and formats and is open to all individuals who understand the importance of construction documents. CSI membership is not required to become a Construction Documents Technologist. The CDT is the prerequisite program for all CSI certification programs. After earning your CDT, you may wish to further advance your career through certification in a specialized field. The CDT is the prerequisite for the Certified Construction Specifier (CCS), Certified Construction Product Representative (CCPR), and Certified Construction Contract Administrator (CCCA) examinations.
CCS - CERTIFIED CONSTRUCTION SPECIFIER:
The Certified Construction Specifier (CCS) Program recognizes an individual’s demonstrated excellence in preparing construction documents. CCS certification signifies a commitment to your career that gives your employer greater confidence in your abilities and gives you the self-confidence to seek greater challenges.
CCPR - CERTIFIED CONSTRUCTION PRODUCT REPRESENTATIVE:
The Certified Construction Product Representative (CCPR) Program provides criteria for achievement for qualified product and manufacturer representatives. By speaking the same language as design professionals, you gain their confidence and become the person they call for technical advice you get the first call and the last look during the specifications phase. Because the contractor also speaks that same language, you become the contractor’s resource and are able to close the sale.
CCCA - CERTIFIED CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR:
The Certified Construction Contract Administrator (CCCA) Program recognizes qualified individuals for their demonstrated excellence in administering construction projects. As a Certified Construction Contract Administrator, you are recognized for your abilities in this growing field of specialization.
For more information about the exams, including . . . Where to purchase documents and study materials Examination dates and locations Exam Application procedures Examination results Exam study assistance
. . . check out the Certification Page of Institute's Web Site by clicking below.